This will clearly show to anyone who is the boss without them having to ask.
You are now a senior manger, your staff are just grunts, also rans, and it is not good for your image to remain to close to them.
This is doubly true for any of your former colleagues with whom you were friends, as now they will be looking to get benefits from having a boss as a friend. Clearly this isn’t going to happen, but by distancing yourself form them you can save them from that embarrassment.
But remember a boss can only be friendly with other bosses, not his employees, and there are a couple of reasons for this: your friends define who you ware, so now as boss your friends need to be other bosses; and you need to ensure there are no emotional ties as firing them will be much easier.
To create the gap there are a number of things you can do, and here are a few suggestions:
- Ensure that your secretary sits between your office door and the plebs, ensuring that she can stop any casual visits
- Have you secretary screen all your phones call
- Eat in the senior management dinning room, a good lunch can often be spoiled by listening to the little people problems, and lets face it you’ve earned it
- Walk briskly with your head down, avoiding eye contact
- Remain in your office as much as possible as this will limit any opportunistic meetings
- Get your secretary to keep your diary as full as possible, ensuring that people need to book a least 3 weeks in advance if they want to book a meeting, this will deter many from even trying
- Randomly cancel 1-2-1 meetings just to remind them that you’re in charge
The more of these suggestions you can implement the bigger the Leadership Gap you will create, and the more Senior you will appear.
Disclaimer: Always treat people with respect and how you would want to be treated. Remember, you would not be in your current position without your employees. This post is an example of what some bad bosses do and should NOT be done. We are not responsible for the use of this example literally in the workplace.